Friday, April 10, 2009

Rivers of my country


Water gains life, as it flows down a hill,
I sit by! trying to distinguish one rapid from another.
Have you ever done that?
It’s like telling one face from the other.

The rivers in my country don’t acknowledge the birth of Christ,
They travel from beyond time.
The flow of my rivers cannot be found in the boxes of your calendar,
They flow through me and you can’t even see.

As I sit beside him, she whispers me stories,
a hundred deaths and two ninety nine lives.
She lets me visit his deepest banks,
from creator to the destroyer, everything there lies.

You might hold me guilty for falsehood,
“how can you understand her tongue?
His language is long forgotten”
And I reply with nothing but defiance.

The river is driven by gravity, not your definition of clarity,
I don’t need to invent a language for her,
She is a part of me,
as I am of her.

2 comments:

Anirudh 'Lallan' Choudhry said...

amazing work

Unknown said...

beyond the jingling effect of the poetic line, there lies some thought embedded with knowledge. i loved it when i found it.poet you did a brilliant job when you made nature represent culture. a pat on your back..